All programme and course modifications, which are often initiated as a result of the annual review of education delivery, should be formally approved. The process is managed in accordance with the NU Guidelines for Modifications to Programs and Courses.
Why Do We Modify Programmes and Courses?
The programme/course modification process is helpful in:
- Enabling the ongoing quality enhancement of academic programmes and courses;
- Tracking changes to facilitate any future programme/course modifications;
- Strengthening the quality of programmes/courses by providing a comprehensive review of the proposed changes by various stakeholders.
Approval of Programme and Course Modifications
Follow the steps below to approve course/programme modifications:
Read the NU Guidelines for Modifications to Programs and Courses. Identify the type of modifications needed. Discuss this with the programme leader/department chair.
Download and Complete the NU Modification Form. Please note that the detailed procedures and templates are available to relevant NU stakeholders only.
Ensure that faculty, the programme leader, the vice dean for academic affairs, and student representatives are engaged in the modification process.
Initiate discussions of the planned changes by proposing agenda items to the relevant Committees.
Scenario 1. In case of minor modifications, inform the Academic Quality Committee by submitting the following documents:
- NU Modification Form (a signed and scanned copy);
- Minutes of the School Learning and Teaching Committee meeting recommending the modifications (a signed and scanned copy).
Scenario 2. When proposing major modifications to the Academic Quality Committee, submit the following documents:
- NU Modification Form (e-word format);
- Updated Programme documents (a clean version and a version with tracked modifications);
- Minutes of the School Learning and Teaching Committee meeting recommending the modifications (a signed and scanned copy);
- Dean’s letter of support for the proposed modifications (a signed and scanned copy);
- External review of the programme modifications (a signed and scanned copy).
Inform the affected parties (Schools, units, departments) about the approved changes, oversee their implementation, and monitor their effectiveness.
Please consult the diagrams by clicking on the buttons below to see the approval process of minor and major modifications.